An outdoor living space where fun memories are made on long summer nights need not be expensive.
You can create a garden patio where comfort and greenery blend to give the cozy and solace feels for your family and friends.
A garden patio that complements your property can provide an outdoor living area where you can entertain guests, enjoy food, or simply relax to make the blues of the day go away.
Put together a garden patio that befits your style and one that will serve as a venue for wonderful outdoor memories.
Small Backyard Patio Ideas – Top Tips on Maximizing Its Potential
- Where to position your garden patio. Plants thrive well when they get at least 3 hours of direct sunlight. The best position will be where you and your garden get the sun when it’s needed.
- Garden Patio size. Create a usable space that will define your objective, whether it’s a cozy space for two or an alfresco dining area. The sizes of plant containers will also depend on your available space.
- It’s all about Style. Your personal style reflects on the design of your garden patio. Match the design with the architecture and facade of your home. Consider the materials and plants that you will be using to accentuate the overall design of your property.
- Budget. Setting a budget at the start of the project will mitigate any overspend.
- Plan it out. Draw the garden patio to even the most basic scale. Include drainage and access, and if there are trees or manhole covers you’ll need to navigate. Having a picture in front of you will help you create your garden patio more effectively.
- Materials. Each material has its own feature. Read on and research so you can pick the one that best meets your needs and budget.
- Privacy. Consider how you can take advantage of the view of your garden patio while providing a private space where you can enjoy relaxing and socializing without being overlooked. You can opt for garden patio decorations as well.
Designing your Own Garden Patio
The list goes on and on when you think about the materials you need for your own garden patio.
The materials you will be using will depend much on your budget and preferred design, whether you will be creating a small patio for your condo or townhouse.
Planning your garden patio is easier than you think. Consider these when designing your garden patio:
ASSESS THE SPACE. How will you use your garden patio? Most garden patios are built both for personal and social uses, so you might want to design with a versatile garden patio in mind.
Maximizing a Small Patio. You can be creative in making the most out of a petite garden patio. There are several space-stretching tips and design ideas like:
- Space-saving bench
- Matching the shape of your table to the shape of your patio
- Poured-in-place concrete seating
- Outdoor built-in coffee table, cooler, fire pit
- Use bright colors for small furniture
- Small water feature outlined with plants
- Stonewall with lush greens or a vertical garden
- Open back seating to keep sightlines uninterrupted and will expand a small patio visually
- Use narrow tables for a narrow patio
- Layer lush greens by placing taller plants behind smaller ones to create the illusion of depth and make space seem grander
- Create a cozy room by hanging durable outdoor fabric and a mix of lighting
- features for a more intimate ambiance
- Outdoor rug providing more square footage to your small patio
- Smart furniture sizes like using a large well-placed sofa instead of several smaller pieces
- Stitch together pillow covers from outdoor fabric to recover old pillows
CHOOSE THE MATERIALS. Think about the materials you want to use for your patio that will reflect your style and complement the design of your home.
If you don’t want to spend a fortune, take a look at the garden patio ideas and material:
- Concrete. The price ranges from $6-$13 per square foot. It is easy to shape, making it possible to create unique shapes and designs. It will last for years when installed correctly. There is also stamped concrete that comes in many colors and textures.
- Gravel. You’ll pay $6-$10 per square foot. It is one of the easiest to use. You can choose from small round pebbles or pea gravel to rough-edged stones.
- Pavers. They come in a huge variety of colors, shapes, and textures. Nothing beats the natural look of stone on a garden patio. It can be rustic or chic and are very workable around any home design. They cost $13 and $20 a square foot.
- Brick. If you want a classic, timeless look, this is the perfect material for your garden patio. You will spend $14-$20 per square foot. It is a durable material however because it is porous, you may encounter water and freezing problems.
ADD LANDSCAPE AND FURNISHINGS.
Plants can make your garden patio look more beautiful and inviting.
You can choose evergreen shrubs and hardy perennials that will look spectacular throughout the year. Here is a list of top ten patio plants that will grow well in pots and containers all year round, to suit all areas and budgets:
- Skimmia ‘Rubella’
- Euonymus ‘Emerald and Gold’
- Patio Standards such as Laurus nobilis, Anisodontea elegans, Azalea ‘
- Japanese Red’
- Alstroemeria ‘Summer Breeze’
- Callistemon ‘Hot Pink’
- Hebe ‘High Voltage’
- Buddleja ‘Buzz 3 in 1’
- Lavatera ‘Barnsley Baby’
- Lilac ‘Flower Fest Pink’
Pick versatile, affordable, and durable furniture that will help you create a garden patio that is welcoming, cozy, and comfortable. Considering the usage of the space will help you determine the size and design of the furniture.
If you imagine dining alfresco, opt for seating and dining pieces. A socializing area for family and friends might just need a few chairs or benches and a functional side table, or a mobile food cart or bar.
Your Garden Patio — A Personal Outdoor Oasis
Enjoying freshness and relaxation a few steps out of your door is an indispensable need nowadays.
Create a garden patio that will be your personal outdoor oasis which you can also share with family and friends — a perfect venue for memories of stargazing nights, laughter, and fun outdoors.
With lush greens and comfy pillows and furniture, store-bought or picked out from antique shops and junk shops, you will indulge in the experience that you deserve from a garden patio.
For patio ideas on a budget, you can always reach out to Big Easy Landscaping. We’re a New Orleans landscaping company that provides quality services such as lawn care, irrigation, and water feature installation.